Sunday, March 13, 2011

Blood, Sweat and Tears

Except in the order blood, tears and sweat.

This past week, for the first time, I bled, I cried and I sweated.

On Thursday we went to a ski mountain to go sledding, or sledging as the Austrians call it.



This picture is taken before we went down the mountain. We took 4 person gondolas to the top of the mountain, and from here everything went down hill. (literally and figuratively). We rode in pairs and about 3 minutes down the run Amy and I were headed straight toward a wall and then a few seconds later, BAM. Amy flies over me, the sled flies over me, and I face plant into tightly packed snow. I stand up and a few seconds later the blood starts to drip from my nose. I was basically a red leaky faucet for about 15 minutes and then held a snowball on my face. Needless to say, I was not super stoked to go down the rest of the mountain.

Once I reached the bottom I half way thought I might have broken it so I went to the bathroom to look. The left side was pretty scraped up, and this is where the tears come in. There were not a lot, but I feel they are worth mentioning. I went to the sled rental office so ask for some ice, so one of the guys took me to the Ski Patrol Office, which was closed, so we went to the lift ticket office to try and find someone. After sitting in a chair in a desolate corner for a bit, three guys showed up to talk to me. Funny thing is, none of them really spoke English. I got my bag of ice, specifically a thin trash bag filled with ice, and tried to tell them what happened. The situation was humorous and made me feel a little better.

Out of the shack, into the bar for some gulashsoup and a hot chocolate. yum.

That is all for blood and tears, now it is time for sweat.

On Saturday Alex and I went on an organized hike called 2nd International Hiking Day. There were quite a few WU students there. What we thought would be a chill hike turned into basically a run up the mountain and eventually a nice walk at a high altitude. The trip was awesome though. Stellar views, though it was a bit foggy in the distance, and the weather was so warm. I was wearing short sleeves!!!!!!! Point of the story, I sweated.



Running up the mountain



Enjoying the view from the top, squatting for some reason.

No comments:

Post a Comment