Saturday, March 26, 2011

It was gloomy and supposed to rain

So what do I do? Go to the cemetery. Zentralfriedhof to be exact. It is not named zentral for its location, but because it is Vienna's biggest cemetery. I rode the underground to the very last stop on the U3 to Simmering. There was maybe a tram to take but i decided to walk. It was a bit sketch looking, more like a regular city with car dealerships and autoshops and some places to eat, etc. Vienna is safe enough so I figured I was fine. I took a right because I felt that was the right direction and kept walking. I had written down the major street before the cemetery and the street name for if I had gone too far. After 10 - 15 minutes of walking and watching the #6 tram clearly labeled Zentralfriedhof, I arrived at the corner entrance. The older man at the entrance did not speak english but showed me on the map locations that I wanted to visit.

Assuming none of you know why I would go here, I will explain. Not only is this the largest cemetery in Vienna, it is the final resting place of tons of famous people. Famous by Austrian standards, ie incredible composers and so on. Beethoven, Mozart, Johannes Brahms, Josef Strauss, no big deal, right?

It took me awhile to wind through and find the grave of Ludwig Von Beethoven, but once I did I was so satisfied. It was very simple and understated for what it could have been. The same can be said for Mozart's. I do not know if they had input into what they wanted, but I was impressed. When I arrived at Beethoven's grave I stood in front of it for a few minutes. I didn't really want to leave or walk around much because this is what I had come for. I sat down in a patch of grass that made the third point of a triangle between the graves of Ludwigand Wolfgang, if I may call them so, and listened to what tracks I had on my iPod from each of them. I saw indian style, face up, eyes closed. It was really nice and relaxing and the perfect thing to do today.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nJDQMyHbSko

It started to sprinkle on me so I scooted under this tree/bush thing. After my songs ran out I got up and walked some more. There as a cathedral with a really cool dome (on the inside). The rain was a constant trickle so I walked back to the entrance. This time I got on the tram and rode it all the way home. It was a nice day.






No comments:

Post a Comment